Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Little Change of Plans!

I've had a nice, laid back day in Chiang Mai. Just got back from the special Sunday Night-market, and it was really cool. Most of the stuff for sale was kitsch, and most of the buyers were tourists, primarily Japanese. Just zillions of food vendors with so many different things to eat. I probably walked for a couple of miles, and certainly lost no weight. It basically costs a quarter to try something. I could name a few, but I would leave off so much that it wouldn't be fair. Just let it be said that a large plate of sushi can be had for maybe $3.

So, I finalized my plans for the next few days. Since Chiang Mai is in the middle of nowhere, you basically have to go to Bangkok or Singapore to really get to a destination. Unless you go by bus or train, that is, and those are notoriously slow and unreliable. So, I am flying back down to Singapore in the morning (Monday). Thailand charges huge taxes for international flights--and flying from Thailand to places other than Singapore seems kind of expensive.

On Wednesday morning, I'm flying from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam. Lots of cool things around there, and it is a lot easier to get to Angkor Wat from Vietnam. I'm staying in Vietnam/Cambodia until Monday, the 27th of Aug when I will head back to Singapore. On Wednesday, I will catch the hop back up to Japan on my way back to the US.

Will write again tomorrow from Singapore, where I will be staying for free again...not that the $20 per night here has really set me back that much. Umm, not that I've actually paid $20 per night, since I spent much of my time in the jungle with lions and tigers and bears.

Oh, my.

Till tomorrow.

Ted

No comments: