Monday, August 20, 2007

Back in Singapore, but in town now!

Well, I ahd hoped to get a room back at the navy base, mainly because it was the perfect price, but that was not to be. All full at the inn. I'm in a part of Singapore City called Gaylang--where really much of the night life is. More important for me, it's where good hotels for a good price are. The hotel is nice and just a little walk from lots of stuff...that I will do tomorrow.

The flight down from Chiang Mai went really smoothly--jsut like the trip up. Tiger Airways is a new carrier and prides itself on new airplanes and a professional staff and crew. I can vouch for both. Thailand really took hold of me and has moved to the top of the list of places that I've visited. I liked being with Mike, but the Thai people, food and prices were just great. I didn't make it down to Bangkok, but it was never really in my plans, especially since Tokyo and Singapore, not to mention Saigon, are huge cities in their own right.

I can finally feel myself getting tired. I think that I've kept up an amazing pace for the past almost month. When you get my age, and you think you've seen it all, not much is exciting anymore. This trip has been exciting. I can't let my guard down either, because both Vietnam and Cambodia are places to be on your toes. Not dangerous, mind you, but a bit more chaotic than places I've been. Singapore is ruled by a dictator, who really does seem to have the good of his people and country at heart. Thailand is governed by the military, but their presence was certainly underwhelming. Both places feel and felt very safe--and remember that I was in the "wild north" of Thailand. I would definitely recommend it--or anywhere in Thailand for that matter. Many people ahve said that I'm missing such great beaches by not going to Phuket or Koh Pi Pi or such, but I have to remind them that nothing, NOTHING touches the Emerald Coast of Florida.

I do wish that I could stash some things in Singapore before heading to Vietnam. In fact, I think I might do just that. I met some folks down at the navy base who surely wouldn't mind me leaving my larger backpack there while I travel light. I'll work that out tomorrow. My plane ticket has me in Vietnam until 27 Aug, but I may ask to extend until the 28th. The hop back to Yokota leaves on the 29th, and I don't really feel the need to hang around Singapore again.

Massages galore over here and in Thailand. I had a Thai massage, which feels good but hurts too, yesterday. Cost was $4 for an hour. I had to have a nice easy massage later last night to chill out--same price. I must have had 10 massages since I've been in SE Asia. I had a chili crab for dinner and it was amazing. Not cheap though--about $30 for a huge crab, beer and all the trimmings. Same meal would have cost $8 in Thailand, maybe.

Just hanging out tomorrow. Let me know how you're doing.

Ted

1 comment:

bgreenard said...

Take lots of pictures in Vietnam ! Trip of a lifetime, eh?

B