Saturday, August 11, 2007

Another Day in Tokyo! A Gaijin among millions of Japanese

The day after Mike left opened my eyes to several things, the primary one being--it's cheaper to support just one person! Another hot day brought new adventures in Tokyo. I was actually headed to Nikko, but I got a late start and Nikko is about a 4 hour trip from Yokota. That still wouldn't have been a problem except for the fact that this is vacation season in Japan and EVERYTHING is booked solid. I mean the bullet trains, the hotels, etc. Crowded everywhere.

So, I decided to go to Asakusa Station and area. This is the area that is close to the Emperor's Palace in downtown. There is a large temple here called Sensoji, which is surrounded by numerous enclosed streets of food and kitsch vendors. In other words, my kind of place. The Japanese have perfected the art of putting anything on a stick and selling it for about 100 Yen (approx $1). I had rice cake balls dunked in a sauce, Yakitori, boiled octopus in a bread coating, roasted corn, and finally some REAL GOOD yakisoba.

I have to take a paragraph to speak about Japanese prices. Contrary to what people believe, they are very reasonable. Food is reasonable, trains/subways are fine, drinks are fine, entrance fees are fine, kitsch is fine. They are far lower than Europe, and also cheaper than American cities. Cokes/drinks in stations cost $1. From Yokota to Shinjiku (25 mins on a good train) is $6; to downtown Tokyo is $8. I had soba with 2 huge tempura shrimp for $5.50 at Shinjuku station. Our big meal the other night was Shabu Shabu, all you could eat plus drinks, for a total of $45 and it was a show!

If you come to Japan to travel on the bullet trains and elsewhere (very cool and FAST), then buy the Japan Rail Pass. Gets you on all trains, except the very fastest bullets--and even those don't save you more than maybe 20 mins on a 3 hour journey to Kyoto. You can't buy the passes in Japan--only outside. And during this two week period, you would have to travel outside peak times because bullet trains are by reservation.

So, it is 1730 here on Saturday, which makes it 0430 Saturday morning Asheville time for anyone concerned. I'm going to check out the Yokota O'Club tonight for anything interesting. I hope I'm not idsappointed, because there are so many good choices off base. I bought a great curry at Fussa Station (Yokota) a little while ago "just to snack on." More likely, hedging my bets on what I'll find at the O'Club!

Mike should be back in Colorado now or very soon. He will be totalled for a week. Tata for now.

Ted

No comments: