Monday, August 13, 2007

I'm NOT intimidated! Heading straight into Singapore

Caught the flight down here with no problem at all. I've discovered a cool trick that really makes it easy. Last night, I stayed up late and just kind of catnapped until the alarm at 0330. Signed up for the plane to Singapore, and we took off on a big DC-8 at 0600 sharp. Got a full row of seats to myself, popped an ambien, and we wre landing by the time I woke up. I love it. I flew with a lady whose husband works at the navy "presence" on the island. I got into their TLF using my permissive TDY orders--and they aren't even charging me. The quarter are definitely of old British stock and gloriously nice (with AC).

I feel so good that I am getting ready to head into the city. I've done some studying of their rail and subway system and have it mastered. I've been told that everythng down here is cheap, including cabs. The metro station is about 20 minutes walktime, so after a week of walking to Fussa station, I might just take the cab. I plan on going into Little India and Chinatown tonight. I will get the necessary paperwork to choose an all-Singapore tour tomorrow. I don't really drink, but I've been told that imbibing a Singapore Sling is a tradition. I will spend most of Wednesday exploring more around Singapore, and loving it's food and sights, before heading up to Chiang Mai, Thailand on Wednesday evening. I've been told that it is MOST interesting. Best of all, the cost from Singapore on an Airbus 320 is about $50. I've given an idea of my plans earlier, but will et you know as I go along. Getting to internet hasn't been a real problem.

Anyway, it is 1545 on Monday here. Take the time differences that I listed below for Japan and add an hour.

Love everyone--heading into the city--Ted

No comments: