Thursday, August 23, 2007

Great Time on Sentosa Island, Singapore today!

I thought today was going to pretty much be a bust, since I am waiting for the plane to Yokota tomorrow. Several people had told me to go out to Sentosa Island, because there was tons to do there. Man, they weren't lying--I had a great time. Basically, it is an island that has been converted into a large recreation park. I would say amusement park, but there weren't any kiddie rides.

Started off with an uneventful bus ride this morning to the Harbourfront station. There you have a choice how you want to get out there. You can go by ferry, monorail or cable car. Of course, I chose the cable car/gondola. Had it all to myself and really enjoyed the terrific view of Singapore city and Sentosa Island. Takes about 15 minutes, and well worth the S$10 roundtrip (US$7.50). On Sentosa, you can purchase tickets for several different "adventures." They also, of course, offer bundled packages which, of course, I chose. I walked out to there exquisitely fashioned beach, which actually had a nice (natural) surf...and beach bunnies.

The, I walked over to MY main goal, which was Fort Sintosa, a British era guardian of Singapore harbor. Had a lot more about the Singapore experience during WWII, when they were taken over by the Japanese. It was one of the most embarassing losses and surrenders by the British ever. They actually far outnumbered the Japanese, but thought they were way outnumbered themselves. Thus, 100,000 British and allies, surrendered to 60,000 Japanese--quite an ignominious defeat.

After the fort, I watched a 4D experience, which was actually a pirate show, wearing those goofy glasses. It was well put together, the seats moved and jerked, and you were sprayed with water. The kids loved it; ok for me. What I did really like was the next "adventure." They actually created an "Underwater Adventure," where you walked through and under large fish tanks with jillions of fish, sharks, crabs, etc. Very interesting, though I've seen several that were much larger. The fish collection here was really cool.

Did a few more things, and then headed back. Turned out to be almost a 7 hour trip, which is exactly what I wanted. I know I've said it before, but Singapore and Singaporeans are very, very cool. Modern city with an easygoing atmosphere. Lots of different peoples--Chinese, Indians, Asian Moslems and tourists--and they all know how to get along together. I never feel pressured or uncomfortable. One of the things that I really wasn't looking forward to in Vietnam and Cambodia is that tourists are mobbed by begging children and adults everywhere. Also, sellers are actually hawkers, and I have heard they are really pushy--one reason that I might have a hard time in Istanbul, in the future.

Mike is in school and "digging it." I know that the 6 months that he spent in the real world really opened his fledgling eyes. I owe my litte chickie, Kathie, a lot for taking care of the details with Mike while I am away. He's been staying at the house, and with the dogs, which is very nice. He says that the boys I have watching them are doing a great job.

Glad I called about tomorrow's plane since it had been changed a bit. Thankfully, I don't have to be up so early to catch it now. It's an 8 hour flight to Japan, then a 13 hour flight to the west coast. I considered buying a ticket for about $1100, but then, that would be defeating the purpose of this trip, now wouldn't it!?

TTFN

Ted

1 comment:

JackieG said...

Wow...What an Adventure! I can't wait till you come to town. The food I'm sure won't be as good...and the scenery won't be up to that of Singapore, but the people here are really nice!
Can't wait to see you Cousin!!!